Devoted exclusively to the creative process. Here you will see photojournaling, poetry, prose, an occasional review--journaling or philosophical writing can be found on our other blogs. This is our attempt to use our imaginations. Enjoy!

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

"Landscape with desire"      [ghazal]

Landscape with desire
              but it's not a question of green
could be winter white & dire
              & you lacking from the scene

how long since my adventures
          amid neighborhoods of pinetrees!
are there cones to spur the fire?
                    hypothetically   I mean

your chin I think is eloquent
          it's got a doctorate or something?
when it's time for it to retire
              will it don a gown of green?

eternity wasn't my pilastrade
        I could barely reach the pedestrian
but I liked to join the choir
            that's how my song grew keen

to look at me one may imagine   I'd been around the block ten times
but in fact I'm naive   (it's dire)       should we call for Nasrudeen?

this is not a memoir nor a pretzel     neither yoga nor my confession
when Ardeo's a tad inspired           he's more fatuous than a teen


5 comments:

camera shy said...

ahhhhh, ghazals

do you write sestinas and pantuoms as well?

david raphael israel said...

ahhh BT.
Pantoum, I've dabbled with just a little bit. I like it though, and thank you for reminding me of that form! It's one I feel close to. Sestina is much more distant from me (or has been so far). I've never turned my attention to it. I do also work with and enjoy the sonnet and the villanelle btw. But in some respects the ghazal has more interesting challenges -- not simply the form, but [I mean more]: as used historically, the range & depth of concerns it is expected to seek to encompass. Actually this particular ghazal specimen here takes the form lightly. Usually there should be a repeated phrase (rather than mere couple of rhyme sounds). But I've liked (at times) permitting myself varying degrees & kinds of rigor in terms of the formal structure, while also exploring varying approaches to possibilities of expression. So, in short, an ongoing experiment.

cheers, d.i.

{illyria} said...

this is not a memoir nor a pretzel neither yoga nor my confession

i adore how this reads like a song...you know, a line that you can play back in your head while you're driving in your car with your hand out the window. i'm quite lyrically-driven and this was fantastic.

camera shy said...

by the way

visited your web site in the making
visually very nice

cant wait to visit when it is up and running

david raphael israel said...

Transi -- multi grazie!

BT -- thanks, yep I've gotta get off my duff (&/or tone down perpetual blogging a tad) soonish, and return focus to OtherShore; it's been too-long back-burnered as a project. I do hope to get it off the ground circa this spring.

Blog Archive